Institution of Agricultural Research and Higher Education
Created in 1990, the Institution of Agricultural Research and Higher Education (IRESA) is a public organization under the authority of the Ministry of Agriculture, Water Resources and Fishery of Tunisia. The missions of IRESA are listed below:
- Under the derogation of the minister of agriculture, IRESA supervises the administrative and financial affairs of all Tunisian agricultural research institutes and centers (12) and the agricultural higher education institutes and high schools (11) under its control.
- Under the derogation of the minister of agriculture, IRESA manages the double supervision of all institutions of agricultural research and higher education between the ministry of agriculture and the ministry of higher education and scientific research.
- Promotion of agricultural research under the framework of the government policy through the establishment of linkage between research and higher education and agriculture extension and producers.
- Coordination between agricultural and higher education institutions.
- Preparation of agricultural research strategies, programs, and corresponding budgets for their implementation and their monitoring and evaluation.
- Make sure that agricultural research and higher education institutions are at the service of agricultural production and development.
Agricultural research programs are targeting five national challenges in the field of agriculture:
- Food security under the context of globalization and volatilization.
- Boosting the role of agriculture in increasing the economic growth.
- Protection of natural resources (water, soil, plant and animal biodiversity) under the contact of climate variability and change.
- Integrated value chains of agriculture products, and farmers’ organization
- Local development and social equity.
IRESA with the assistance of its institutions and the other key actors (development and extension organizations, farmers representatives) had recently developed the agricultural research priorities for the period 2018-2030. Regarding agricultural higher education IRESA is currently piloting a project targeting the improvement of the employability level of the academic diploma holders through the development of new professional and competencies referential, accreditation and the promotion of capacity development. Enhancing the transfer of agricultural research achievements and technologies and innovations among farmers is also one of the main tasks of IRESA.
The Oceanographic station of Salammbô “SOS” was created in 1924 according to the current model of the time, in the form of laboratories for research, a museum for the public, a library for documentation and a collection reference grouping together the different marine species.
Since 1992, this establishment has been called the National Institute of Marine Sciences and Technologies (INSTM). It has the current status of a Public Research Establishment, and it is under the supervision of the Institution for Research and Higher Education in Agriculture of the Ministry of Agriculture, Water Resources and Fisheries.
The mission of INSTM is to:
• Carry out contract research programs in fields directly or indirectly linked to the sea and its resources: Fisheries, Agriculture, Marine environment, Marine technologies, Oceanography…;
• Participate in the various national, regional and international networks related to the sea.
• Contribute to solving the problems linked to the development of urban and economic activities on the coast and in territorial waters
• Transfer its know-how and the results of its research to decision-makers and professionals of the sea and to scientists.
• Serve as a decision-making aid tool for the sustainable management of the sea and its resources.
• Contribute to the dissemination of marine culture and public awareness of the protection and preservation of the sea and its biodiversity.
INSTM has 5 research laboratories:
• Fisheries Sciences Laboratory
• Aquaculture Laboratory
• Marine Environment Laboratory
• Biodiversity and Marine Biotechnology Laboratory.
• Blue Biotechnology and Aquatic Bio-products Laboratory.